She’s gorgeous, funny and has some of the most enviable tresses in Hollywood. There’s really nothing not to love about Sofia Vergara, who took home the award for “Outstanding Comedy Ensemble” with her her Modern Family costars at the Screen Actors Guild Awards. Her red carpet style for the evening—sexy, perfectly-imperfect waves—was created by celebrity stylist Jen Atkin. “Sofia has amazing texture and volume, and I wanted to show it off,” said Atkin. “We kept the style messy so it didn’t look too serious.”
Even if you don’t have a big awards show to attend in the near future, this style is just as perfect for girls’ night out. And guess what? It’s super-easy to recreate right at your own vanity. Here, Atkin tells you how in 5 simple steps:
1. To prep locks for those full, bouncy waves, wash and condition with CLEAR SCALP & HAIR BEAUTY THERAPY Volumizing Root Boost Shampoo & Conditioner (SRP: $5-$6, mass market retailers); this will help nourish your scalp for strong, beautiful hair with tons of body.
2. Apply volumizing mousse and wave-enhancing spray at the roots of damp hair; as you blow-dry, use fingers to scrunch roots and twist one-inch sections of hair to enhance volume and texture.
3. Once dry, wrap sections of hair around the barrel of a 1″ curling iron in the same direction away from the face for voluminous curls.
4. Once curls are set, spritz with hair spray and run fingers through to soften the look; apply hair serum or oil just on the ends for added shine.
5. To finish it all off, tease roots and use dry shampoo to keep hair looking voluminous all night long.